Bacon Mac And Cheese Grilled Cheese
In Chicago, there’s this iconic restaurant, Cheesie’s, that just about everyone on the North Side knows about. They specialize in… well… you guessed it: cheese based recipes. They have the best grilled cheese sandwiches I’ve ever had. Their most popular one is a grilled cheese with mac and cheese on it and it’s so good that I knew that we had to try and make something similar. It’s the perfect comfort food.
And I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: We. Love. Comfort food. This recipe is everything comfort food should be – mouthwatering, loaded with carbs, and a total crowd pleaser. I would dare to say that ours is almost as good as Cheesie’s.
If you need help with making a VERY easy homemade mac and cheese, we have our recipe right here. If you don’t want to make a homemade recipe (although I highly suggest you do! It makes it taste way better) then you can pick up a boxed mac and cheese and just use that.
Let’s get started!
Precooked mac and cheese
3-4 slices of bacon4 Slices of fresh sour dough bread (we got ours at the bakery section of our local grocery store)
1/4 Cup of butter
1/4 Cup of shredded sharp cheddar
1. In a frying pan, cook 3-4 pieces of bacon over medium heat.
2. Break up the bacon into small bits. If you want, you could also keep the bacon as full slices. We crumbled them, though.
3. In a skillet large enough for two slices of bread, heat up the butter. You want it pretty hot.
4. Brown your bread until it’s almost completely done.
5. Cover both sides of the bread with cheddar cheese. Cover with a lid for 30 seconds or so and it will melt much quicker.
6. On one slice of bread, add mac and cheese and bacon
7. Put the other piece of bread on top and press down with a spatula.
You’re all done! Enjoy every bite of that cheesy goodness.
Did you make this recipe? Do you have a favorite mac and cheese recipe that would go well with this? Let us know in the comments!