We like to eat Philly Cheese Steak’s out of many different vehicles. Whether it be in a proper Hoagie Roll, an egg roll, crescent rolls or our new favorite, in a sour dough bread sandwich. While Philly Cheese Steaks are most commonly made with the Ribeye cut, or a mixture of multiple cuts, we prefer to use Sirloin because of cost and taste. The fact of the matter is, it is going to be delicious no matter which cut of beef you chose and what type of bread to serve it in.
This recipe, like all of our others, will follow the same theme: simple. We’ve each only been to Philadelphia once, and while Chicago does have restaurants around the city with fantastic Philly Cheesesteaks, having a go to recipe for home is a great option to have for a quick and easy meal on a budget. I think you will agree with us that until your next visit to Philly, this recipe will do more than suffice.
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
1/2 lb. Beef Top Sirloin Steak – Boneless
Sour Dough Bread
Provolone Cheese Slices (American or Cheeze Whiz are also popular alternatives)
Caramelized Onions (optional)
1/3 Cup Beef Broth
1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Teaspoon of Minced Garlic
- Cut your steak up into small pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter then add in beef broth, garlic, and worcestershire.
- Brown steak. This should 5-10 minutes since you cut the pieces so small.
- Tear cheese slices into chunks and place it on top of your steak. Once you have the desired amount of cheese (we use about 3 slices because we add cheese to the bread) stir the cheese into the steak with a spatula. Turn off heat and put aside.
- In another large skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Once it is piping hot, toast your bread. Add cheese and let melt (it melts faster if you put a lid on it for 20 seconds or so).
- Top one side of bread with steak. Close the sandwich and flatten with a spatula.
What other creative grilled cheeses do you enjoy? Do you have any ideas for us to try out? Let us know in the comments below!