Broccoli Cheddar Bacon Soup
It’s been a strange fall here in Chicago. Up until this week, it’s been too warm for our favorite cold weather recipes. Soup just doesn’t taste quite right on a 75 degree day. Thankfully, it’s finally cooling down in the Windy City. This week the weather was perfect for this Broccoli Cheddar Bacon Soup recipe.
This soup is comfort food at its finest. Not only is it going to hit the spot, but you’ll get some veggies in as well. It’s really easy to whip up and even the most amateur of chefs can make this show stopper.
Let’s get started!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup butter
Dash of onion powder
2 cups half and half
3 cups of chicken stock
2 cups broccoli
3/4 cup of sliced thin carrots
3-4 strips of bacon cut in half
2 and 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, saute garlic in butter on medium heat.
- Add half and half and chicken stock.
- Add broccoli and carrots.
- While soup is warming/vegetables are cooking, begin cooking bacon. Once bacon is crispy, let cool and chop up to desired size. We like bigger chunks, but if you want to do bits, that works too.
- Add bacon to soup.
- When broccoli and carrots are tender and the soup is slightly bubbling, begin adding cheese slowly while consistently stirring.
- Serve with additional shredded cheddar on top.
What’s your favorite cold weather recipe? Let us know in the comment section below.