One of Sean’s guiltiest of guilty pleasures is his love for Chick Fil-A’s secret menu item: the buffalo chicken sandwich. We will save him the ridicule of how often he eats it, but just know that it is far too often. In an attempt to save some money, while also expanding our cooking horizons, this was an obvious choice to start kicking the cravings and creating our own version of the delicious buffalo chicken sandwich.
I am sure everyone has had both good and bad versions of this favorite. What separates the good from the bad, in our opinion, is perfectly cooked chicken – juicy in the middle with a great crunch, the buffalo sauce, and finally the quality of the bread. This recipe hits it out of the park on all three of those pieces and will hands down be exactly what you are looking for when craving a buffalo chicken sandwich. You would be shocked to know how simple it is to master this dish and you will quickly be kicking the Chick-fil-a habit, just as Sean has (kinda!)
1 lb of thin cut boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 package of brioche buns
3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
1 cup of flour
2 egg whites
1/2 inch deep of vegetable oil in a large frying pan
Your favorite buffalo sauce
Sliced swiss cheese (optional)
- Begin heating vegetable oil in frying pan.
- Put two egg whites in a shallow bowl.
- Put your panko and flour onto a plate and mix it up.
- Coat your chicken with egg white.
- Coat your chicken with panko/flour mixture.’
- Repeat steps 4 and 5.
- Once the oil is hot enough, begin frying chicken, two to three pieces at a time. Be sure to shake off excess flour before you begin frying.
- Once the chicken is golden brown on both sides, let the oil drip off in a metal strainer.
- Toss the chicken in your favorite buffalo sauce and enjoy on a fresh brioche bun!